CERN Short Term Internship 2020 (Meyrin, Switzerland / Intern)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization.
One of CERN’s key missions is education. Our professionals very much enjoy sharing their knowledge and expertise with students who are committed and passionate about their chosen field.
If you’re an undergraduate in the technical or administrative fields and you’re looking to spend a few months training “on-the-job”, imagine doing your internship at CERN in Geneva. An impressive addition to your CV!
We offer a limited number of places throughout 2020 in our practical training programme, with a duration of 1 to maximum 6 months geared towards your particular field of study.
How about it?
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a full-time student at undergraduate (post-secondary) level and are at least 18 years of age.
- Please note that candidates who are currently studying for a PhD are not eligible for this programme.
- Your main field of study is in one of the following areas: applied physics, computing, mathematics, electricity, electronics, mechanical or civil engineering, instrumentation, materials science, radiation protection, safety and environmental protection, surveying, ultra-high vacuum, scientific communication. A very limited number of places may be available in administrative fields such as: translation, advanced secretarial work, accounting, legal services, human resources, librarianship, logistics.
- Your work at CERN must be an obligatory or recommended part of your studies.
- You will be returning to your educational establishment after completion of your stay at CERN.
- You have a good knowledge of English and/or French.
Important information for you to know:
- The duration of the internship is minimum 1 month and maximum 6 months.
- You will need to have full insurance cover valid in the Geneva area for medical expenses, work and private accidents as well as any disability arising from professional and non-professional illness and accidents.
- You will receive a monthly allowance of 1,516 Swiss Francs: please note, however, that the cost of living in Geneva is high and this allowance is just a complement. You should have adequate financial resources to support yourself in the local area.
You can apply for a place at any time up to the close of the annual vacancy in October 2020. Your application will be considered by a group of CERN experts who will act as supervisors to the selected students.
Please be aware that we only have a limited number of places for this programme.
If you are selected, you will be contacted by the programme coordinator. If your application cannot be considered, you will be informed by email.
Please note that if a traineeship agreement is required by your institute, as an international organisation CERN will not sign external documents. You will therefore be required to use the CERN traineeship agreement provided on https://cds.cern.ch/record/1994294/files/convention_stage_6mois_en.pdf.
This is how you can apply:
You can apply for a place at any time throughout the year and can indicate your availabilities. Your application will then be reviewed by CERN experts and if successful, you will be contacted by the programme coordinator. Please be aware that we only have a limited number of places for this programme.
Make sure you have your CV to hand as you start your application. Once submitted you will not be able to upload additional documents or edit your application.